Over a century ago, Dan’s grandfather, Stan, was floating logs logs down the Danube River in eastern Europe when he heard that in America the fence posts were made of sausage! Not exactly ‘the streets are paved with gold’, but for a dirt-poor youth, the mere thought of sausage fence posts was enough to get him on a ship for America.
Not many years later, Stan and his wife Mary settled just a bit east of Canoe Bay. Their family grew to include 10 children, and life on their small farm wasn’t easy. The lake and wildlife of Canoe Bay were critical to the family’s survival, providing fish, berries, and game year-’round. While they did not own the Canoe Bay property, they loved and cared for it.
The AMAZING Edgewood Villa
- Sweeping views of a private nature preserve, glacially-carved lake.
- Great Room features unique stone fireplace, vaulted ceilings, wraparound private deck, writing desk with landline, convenient lav.
- King Master BR boasts two-sided fireplace, charming window seat, and en-suite featuring two-person whirlpool, two-headed tile shower with steam, Finnish sauna with view of the lake!
- Spacious 2nd BR* with King bed and en-suite with shower. (There is no tub nor fireplace in the guest bedroom).
- Carport accommodates two vehicles.
- 2,000 sq.ft.
Hilltop SPA Signature Cottage
- Architecturally dramatic Prairie-style lake home provides gorgeous views of lake, elegant vaulted-ceiling living room with stone fireplace; elevated deck; spacious study with landline phone; separate King bedroom with stone fireplace and another deck.
- Also features an en-suite spa with lake view two-person whirlpool, two-headed tile shower with steam, Finnish sauna, heated floor, elliptical trainer, double vanity, and toilet room.
- Offers a wet bar with drawer-style fridge / freezer, microwave, Keurig, full-size sink; convenient lav; and a carport.
- 1,300 sq.ft.
Heavenly Suite-at The Inn
- Great lake views from this two-room Suite at The Inn.
- Spacious living room with fireplace, separate King bedroom—also with fireplace.
- Private deck right above the water, wet bar with mini-fridge & microwave & Keurig.
- Bathroom features 2-person whirlpool tub with separate two-headed shower, toilet room.
- 600 sq.ft.
Lookout Duplex Cottage
- Side-by-side, mirror-image, private entrance architectural cottages with: elevated views of the lake and beautiful native Wisconsin prairie; open concept living/bed room with window wall, stone fireplace, King bed, and private deck.
- Wet bar with mini-fridge & microwave & Keurig.
- Bathroom features two-person whirlpool tub, two-headed walk-in tile & glass block shower, toilet room, large vanity.
- 590 sq.ft.
Tiny Houses at Canoe Bay
The original ESCAPE tiny houses, perched on a hill just west of The Inn
- Each offers living/dining room with fireplace & window wall with woods view
- Queen bedroom with en-suite (walk-in tile shower, double vanity, toilet room)
- Seasonal screened porch with wide chaise lounge and long view of the lake.
- Full-size fridge & kitchen sink, microwave, Keurig.
- 400 sq.ft.
The relaxation and easy pace of Canoe Bay continues through our daytime meals that are delivered right to your door—our tradition since 1993.
- Breakfast & Lunch Menus provide delicious a la carte options for any appetite—including Wisconsin cheeses, of course—with delivery ’til 1p.
- Just-brewed coffee is available for delivery daily ’til 1p.
- Your wet bar has a selection of complimentary healthful snacks awaiting your arrival. Soft drinks and ice, too.
Indulge and develop your interest in all things growing by exploring the awesome bold & romantic Garden at Canoe Bay, created by gardening master John Nissen. Talk about photo ops! This magical space will refresh your spirit and excite your imagination.
In-Room Dining Accommodations
- Each Cottage, Tiny House, & Suite are each equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, set of dishware, glass, stemware, and flatware. There are also Keurig’s with a variety of blends.
- Wet bar sink with Dawn dish soap in each accommodation (housekeeping services available).
- There are no cooking facilities for guests’ personal use beyond these items.
Love the outdoors? This is Paradise
Winter or Summer, always something to do…or not. The list of summertime activities is nearly endless. Hiking, running or walking on miles of trails; canoeing & kayaking; swimming; lounging by the lake; fishing; biking; exploring the gardens—all on-site. You’ll also delight in observing the wide variety of amazing wildlife that call this little piece of paradise home.
Golfing is right nearby, along with fishing guides to help explore other lakes in the area. In winter, borrow a pair of titanium-frame snowshoes at Reception and head off to explore Canoe Bay’s 300 acres…plus the frozen lakes. Or take a drive to the area’s well-groomed cross country and downhill ski sites.
Love the indoors? This is Heaven
The Greatest Gift of All: True Calm. The astonishing views and charming wildlife are everywhere at Canoe Bay. You’ll be delighted to discover how quickly one can decompress.
The Lodge’s library is a bookworm’s dream, and features additional seating in the loft overlooking a canopied outdoor patio and the main lake. Upstairs, the fitness center offers treadmills, elliptical trainers, spin bike and multi-stack weight system.
Enjoy swimming, canoeing, kayaking, or paddle boarding through our private glacier carved lake. The pristine waters offer beautiful shoreline views for a fall adventure and the swim raft will be calling your name on a warm summer day. Help yourself to kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards found in the Boat House with life jackets and vests.
Take a stroll through our breathtaking 3-acre organic garden. You will truly feel as you are walking through a fairytale wonderland! Look closely and you may see a few of our pollinators such as beautiful monarch butterflies and bumblebees flying from plant to plant.
John, the gardener is often tending to the garden and loves speaking with everyone! Ask him about his outstanding work and you may even learn something or get to take a fresh sample of produce home…
Explore the Canoe Bay Trails your way-year round! Out for a stroll, or want to go for a run? How about take in the scenery listening to song birds and watching deer stroll right past you? Want to go snowshoeing in a winter wonderland? You’ve found the perfect place…the Canoe Bay Trails! The 4.5 miles of trails are all marked on a map for you upon check-in.
Explore winter scenery at Canoe Bay on snowshoes! Walk along the sparkling shores of the frozen private lake, or wander through the snow covered wooded trails. Either way you won’t regret it!
Sioux Creek, a 9-hole golf course running along a river is just 1.5 mile west of Chetek (a 20 minute drive). Turtleback, a Golf Digest Award-winning 18-hole golf course with Prairie-style clubhouse is located in Rice Lake (a 20 mile drive).
Set up an in-room one-hour Relaxation Massage with a licensed therapist who will come right to your Canoe Bay cottage. Advance booking required for this service, either “Single” or “Couple’s” Massage.
The Big One is out there…Licensed, independent fishing guide Steve Sedani has over 30 years’ experience fishing the Chetek Chain of Lakes in his 18′ long boat, about 15 min. from Canoe Bay, where walleye, northern, and pan fish await. (www.chetek.com/fishing)
Cross Country and Downhill. Find 20 miles of classic and diagonal stride cross-country ski trails in the Blue Hills, only 25 minutes away (www.bluehillstrail.com). Bring your own xc ski equipment. No-wait downhill skiing is enjoyed at Christie Mountain, also about 25 minutes away (www.christiemountain.com), with rental equipment available there.